Saturday, January 31, 2009

"My dad will flip when he comes here." Mika (referring to cab rides)

I have just returned from my adventures in the far away land of Alexandria. Of course for me it was only an hour bus ride, 10 min. taxi ride, and 2 1/2 hour train ride, but for most of you it is half the world away. Like most things in Egypt, the trip began with the typical Egyptian run-around, and only by God's protection and support we were able to make it to our destination. Moral of the story, with God's help, a little Arabic, loads of patience and perseverance, and a couple of bribes two white girls from the US can do whatever they what.

We began our adventure by catching the bus into downtown Cairo from campus. This was pretty uneventful and after a quick meal at McDonald's we caught a cab to the train station. Our cab driver, while still a crazy Egyptian driver, was helpful and didn't try to rip us off. When we got to the train station, we went to 3 different windows, only to be turned away and told there were no tickets for the day. We sat down distressed and ready to decide a plan B. I guess the tourist police recognized our despair, because in approximately 30 sec. 2 of them were by our sides explaining that they may be able to "hook us up" so to speak.

First, they asked for $, which we refused until we had tickets in our hand. After about 15 min, and a scary Egyptian cat rubbing on my leg, we were told that they had 2 tickets if we had 50 pounds (the equivalent of $10). My theory is that they phoned to the station 20 min. away to see if they still had tickets, but the more cynical Mika suspects foul play and scamming. Whatever the means, we ended up with 2 tickets and only had to bribe the police with 20 pounds...lol. I was so thirsty after our drama. I got this Sprite from a vendor that had enough black soot on it to paint my face. I sanitized it as best I could and tried to pop it open...and the tab BROKE OFF!!!! Now I have a half sanitary, unopened Sprite and I am SOOOOOOOO thirsty. I guess a man saw my distress, and to save me, he pulls a 2 ft. knife (no protection, just a knife out of his coat) and pops open my drink. It was so ridiculous and suprisingly in kind. In the US, no one would have even noticed, my small, but tragic problem. Otherwise, the train ride was cold, but otherwise pleasant enough. However, as the only foreigners, we attracted many confused stares.

After arriving in Alexandria, the first thing we discovered was cab drivers are far more kind there than in Cairo. Because the driver got lost, he didn't want to take our money. We figured it was more important to him and his family, so we paid him anyways. The only unfortunate thing is, Alexandrian cab drivers still insist on driving the wrong way on a one way street in reverse instead of driving around the block.

Our hotel was cheap, we were the only foreigners, and we pretty much got what we pai
d for. I have to give you a picture of our shower, because it was so ridiculous. Needless to say, we didn't take a shower while we were there. It doesn't matter though, college students are supposed to rough it while seeing the world.

Friday began with a hotel breakfast of bread, jelly, and tea. Mika and I decided to begin our morning by purchasing our train tickets for the next day so we wouldn't have the same problems we encountered in Cairo. We then headed to the National Museum, which we got into with $0.20. It was ridiculous. There was some really neat things to learn and see in there too. We spent the rest of the day seeing the Roman ampitheater, the Bibliotheca Alexandria, and taking a carriage ride along the Mediterranean Sea.

The trip home was much less eventful, and I am happy to report, that I now feel confident traveling around Egypt. I feel excited to do more exploring while I'm here. If I can spend a 3 day weekend in another city for $60, I can't wait to have new adventures. Don't worry, I will report them all to you, just in case you are living vicariously through me. I hope you are all having great weekends. Class starts tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Megan, I just read your blog out loud to Shreya!!! P.S. in the future please use Super Bus! They are these huge red coach buses that shoot off from downtown cairo to all over Egypt. They take 1 hour to get to Alexandria and only cost around $15 - and you are sitting on a coach bus! (also no chance of getting mugged as is with the train station, which tourists are told to stay away from, but good for you! hahha). Keep writing.

Andrew

Lisa said...

Hi Megan, I just read your blog out loud to Jerry. Sounds like more adventure than I could handle but I know you are having an experience of a lifetime. Although it seems still kind of scary and I will continue to keep you in my prayers. Sounds like you certainly need God's protection. I finally figured out how to add myself as a follower with picture!

Love you,
Jerry and Lisa