Sunday, January 11, 2009

"Don't believe me, ask the dishes..." -Beauty and the Beast

I love to quote movies, I love Beauty and the Beast, but most of all...I love to quote Beauty and the Beast. I often find myself believing I'm in the story as Belle. She is smart, independent, stubborn, slightly manipulative (in a good way), and she finds happiness in places she never expected. The best part is, the story has a happy ending. The "unfortunate" part is, my story doesn't have an ending yet. Not that I want my life to be over, don't jump ahead of my thought process, but I would like to know if I actually get the Disney princess ending I have always hoped for.

You see I place these magnificent ideals in my head about how exciting my life could be. EX: (Senior in high school) What if I really could get in to Duke? (Freshman year @ Duke) How will I ever survive this place? I think I have learned that fairytale endings are always a little messier than they portray in Hollywood. But thinking about all of this makes me even more nervous about heading to Egypt. I have created the fantasy plethora of opportunities awaiting me across the ocean, but I'm biting my finger nails anticipating the messes awaiting me.

Don't get too concerned, I understand that not all is lost. It's all because of my day today. I woke up to my mother yelling at me to wake up and something about pancakes and t-shirts. The pancakes were delicious (I hope you are reading this Andrew), but we didn't have our normal syrup...generic syrup is not worth the money saved, TRUST ME! I took a shower and only changed outfits once before Tiff met us here. It was a girls' day out. Mom, Taniesha, Tiff and I went to see Bride Wars. Now I know that it got terrible reviews, but I thought it was a decent movie, and of course it ended happily.

I think that is where my hope started to return. Those women really screwed up, and their lives didn't necessarily turn out to be the fantasies they envisioned, but they were fairytale endings nonetheless. After lunch at Pizza Hut (Taniesha's choice), Taniesha and I spent 30 min. w/a 91 year-old shut-in. It was entertaining and I found my self fantasizing over the stories I would tell when I turned 91.

I quickly headed to Justin's house to have dinner with him and his family. The pot roast was delicious...it almost made losing Phase-10 (again) easy to swallow. Don't worry it was Justin's mom who won, which is a lot easier to handle than if Justin or his dad won. Afterwards I got to spend some quality time with Justin since he goes back to school tomorrow :(. I guess I will have to spend my time without him fantasizing about my princess ending.

I think I have lived with Disney and chick flicks too long, but I want to believe that all of us get a fairytale ending of our own. Hope your Saturday's were happy too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry...We WILL all have fairy tale princess endings with pretty dresses and a castle where we can all live together...but not have to see each other!