Sunday, January 25, 2009

"We may die." -Me

I have decided that if something happens to me in Cairo...it will definitely be in a car...not wars, not late night street walks...definitely in the car. Lane lines mean nothing here...once today our cab drove the wrong way backwards because he missed a turn. You must also honk at everything you see. It is essential. I also determined today that I am scared of Egyptian cats. They definitely look like they need to eat something and they look at you like they want it to be you.

I made a friend today. Her name is Mika. We had adventures in Cairo together, our cab driver got lost, and we are in the same level of Arabic. It is nice to know someone around here. We took a bus to a place we knew nothing about, bought cell phones that will work in Egypt (for safety purposes), ate dinner at a random restaurant, got a toothbrush and water, and got a cab. It was fun to wander around and get to know the city without looking for anything in particular. It was great.

Tomorrow is a big day. First I have to meet my roommate which I still haven't seen, but her stuff is here. We have breakfast at 9 am, followed by various preparatory activities. We get to finish off the night with a cruise on the Nile. I'm pretty excited.

So far I can tell you: Egyptian men can speak enough English to hit on you, Cairo's polluted air makes my hair feel like straw, Cairo's streets feel safer than Durham's, Sprite here has more of a lemon flavor, and you can buy 6 L of water for less than $2. I miss you all, but am already having fun. Happy Sunday!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Your description of drivers in Cairo was hilarious. Hang on Megan!!!

Anonymous said...

That's my girl! Bribing a guy already.

Debbie said...

Love your blog. Miss you already. Don't forget to come home.

Debbie said...

Love reading your blog. Miss you already.Don't forget to come home.
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Megan...are you implying you will be going on late night street walks!?!?! haha! I love reading this. You're like an author or something-you make it all so interesting. I'm so glad you are having fun and I hope all is well. I can't wait to read about your journey down the Nile :)

Tiffany said...

Nice to know you made it there and meet a friend already. Have fun on the Nile. Hope it's pretty! Love, ya!