Sunday, February 1, 2009

"You are pioneers here, so you are going to have to suffer some setbacks along the way." -referring to our housing

Today was the first day of classes at AUC. For those of you wondering, yes we do have classes on Sunday. The Muslim holy day is Friday, so our weekend is Friday and Saturday. Also for those of you that have asked, the weather here is very mild right now. highs around 70 and lows in the 50's. Those temperatures seem much colder here than they do with humidity...I can vouch for that. It won't get hot until April and May.

The first day of classes was pretty uneventful. I was able to find and attend both of my classes. I think they will be ok, but I already have an Arabic assignment. I could definitely do w/o the homework. I hated wandering around so lost today. I didn't know any of the students that are on campus. With the international contingent making up less than 20% of campus population, I was in a mob of strangers for most of the day. I didn't know where my classes were either. I felt like a freshman all over again. I am hoping that a week of newness will be enough to get this out of my system. I want my confidence back.

I'm sad that all of you are preparing to watch the Super Bowl, and I'm preparing to sleep, but I guess 4 mos. in Egypt is a decent trade off. I miss all of you. Go Cardinals! Happy Sunday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

"I want my confidence back" ....doesn't that imply that you "had" confidence to begin with.......

OH COME ON, I AM KIDDING! My jabs are now reduced to online eblogger comments, who would of thunk it!

Congrats on first day of classes, you will make friends in no time.

p.s. Do the egyptians call you the equivalent version of short stack in arabic?