Thursday, February 5, 2009

see below for quote

Once again i said my goodbyes
To those i love most
My heart feels that familiar pain
As i long for hope
Cause this road is hard
When i feel so far
-BarlowGirl, "Here's My Life"

I don't think this song is literally talking about a physical journey far from home, but that's how I hear it tonight. For the first time since I have left home, I truly feel homesick. It probably has something to do with the fact that I'm also physically sick for the first time today. My stomach hates something I ate, and my throat and nose hate the dry, dusty, polluted air. Between the sore throat, nose bleeds, and...well...you know, it is one of those days that you just want your mom to take care of you.

Of course it might have something to do with the fact that while I'm enjoying my time here, I still have yet to become friends with an Egyptian. So much for fully experiencing the culture. As I sit here in the middle of the desert, making more and more American friends, I'm beginning to wonder how to become a part of the culture I came to experience. I'm sure I am overreacting because I haven't even been here 2 weeks yet. But making friends with the Egyptians here has proved very difficult. Tonight we had a welcoming party, the music was so loud you could hardly speak to anyone, and the room was self-segregated. I just don't know how to approach a group of 10, standing in a circle, speaking in Arabic, and introduce myself. It still is way to intimidating.

It may also have something to do with the fact that I talked to a couple of my friends today. They all talked about how they missed me. I miss them all too. I think the hardest part is realizing all the memories I'm not going to be a part of when I get back.

Now, I don't want you all to worry too much. I have dealt with homesickness many times before, and I know it passes like most emotions. I still really like my classes here, and I feel like I really am learning Arabic now. You would think with 5 semesters prior to coming here I would be well on my way, but this is the first time I've ever believed I could actually speak the language. I find myself thinking in Arabic after class in normal conversation. It is all very exciting. I hope you are all enjoying the winter weather of the states, tomorrow promises to be sunny and 83. Happy Wednesday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss you too! Don't make me cry.

Sarah DIehl said...

hey mama! don't worry, i love you.

megan, remember that time that i thought in italian for the first time right before sophomore soiree when we ate outside the dillo? it was great. much love

Unknown said...

يا سلام و ما شاء الله!!!!! سنتحدث باللغة العربية حين تعودين بعد الصيف!! أندرو