Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"weooweooweooweoo" -Doria, my Arabic professor

There is something so amusing about your respectable professor imitating police sirens in Arabic class. It was a really exciting start to a really great class...really (lol). When I entered class this morning, my professor approached me about going to Duke. Turns out she has a job offer at UNC. Now, I am against UNC, but I love this teacher and it would be super cool if she came back to w/me to N. Carolina. I am going to try and help her look for apartments if she accepts the job, so if anyone knows of anything, let me know. I talked to her after class about what it is like to live in NC, and about how I'm still a little intimidated about speaking in class, esp. about topics so intense. She is very encouraging...I love this woman.

On another note, Arabic is so over my head right now. I am just not ready to read about the Islamic movement in Arabic. Then you mix that in with the Egyptian dialect and I get so confused. The only positive is I find myself even thinking in Arabic...it is all so new. I need to rant a little bit though about the user-unfriendly nature of AUC. First of all, the library is only open until 9...2) you can't print 2-sided...3) food options are unhealthy...4) THE TABLES ALWAYS FLIP OVER!!! Okay, I'm done ranting.

The hardships don't really alter my opinion of the experience, but they certainly do make me appreciate/miss Duke. I hope my trivial complaints will help you all appreciate the little things. Happy Tuesday!

No comments: