Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"I've never felt so noticeable in my entire life." -My creative writing professor

This sentence, I have decided, perfectly defines how I have been feeling here in Egypt. While I am loving it here so far, and I am so excited to get to experience all of these new things, there are certain things about being here that I find most annoying. #1) I'm pretty sure everyone is staring at me. When I'm out on the street I know everyone is staring at me because they all comment on me or try to strike up a conversation. On campus, I don't think everyone stares at me, but I am very aware of how much I stand out. Of course I'm not the only white girl on campus, but I feel so self-conscious.

I'm thinking I will get used to this attention, but there are a few things that I will never get used to. #2) All of the smoking. Everything constantly smells like tobacco...blah! #3) All systems are unreliable. Will the bus come? Does the taxi know where he is going? Did they lose my form...again?

Other things I just find ironic. #4) Why do I get lectured about conserving water, but they insist on washing all the walkways everyday. #5) Why do you cover your head, but wear leggings and a long shirt. I can't see your hair, but all of your curves. It is all very interesting. I think I will just leave you to think about that. Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

اه ذكريات حلوة! ها هي القاهرة!!!ندرو

Sarah DIehl said...

andrew, you should comment in english so people like me can read it.

good talk.