Friday, February 20, 2009

"Cairo-82 degrees and sand" -weather.com

My friends, that is how weather.com described the weather here. Not cloudy, sunny, rainy, just sand. I can't explain to you how appropriate that was. Sandstorms are zero fun. When I walked out of my dorm room I about blew away and my face was instantly covered by a beach. Apparently that was mild, so class wasn't canceled, but I am not looking forward to it getting worse. I guess at the end of winter each year, Cairo experiences a sandstorm for about a week, and then it rains for a day to calm the sand down. It is to signify the beginning of spring. I could do without the sand to tell you the truth. I can only describe the wind as scratchy. The sand settles and piles up in corners like really dry snow. It is all very interesting.

I am a little disappointed in you guys, because none of you have commented (for 2 days). When this happens I get paranoid that it is boring, and everyone has stopped reading. But in the case that you are still reading, I'm putting a guilt trip on you. Please answer my question? My blog feels insignificant today.

I must tell you a story that happened the night before we had a mouse. I was so worked up about the mouse, I forgot to tell you. (Background): In our rooms, our beds are lofted. It makes for more room, but for a dangerous ladder. But that is beside the point. All you need to know is, when the heat is on, it remains on top of the beds for the most part. You also need to know that our heater is not on a sensor, you just have to switch it on and off. (Story): Tuesday night, Jamese and I were doing homework and our heat randomly came on. We got excited thinking that maybe the sensor works now, because it was a little cold in our rooms. WRONG! After about an hour of it being on, we were beginning to sweat. I got up to turn it off, but it wasn't on sensor, it was just possessed. By this time it is about 1 am, so I venture out to our RESlife office to get assistance. They tell me no one will be available until 3 am. I said fine, have them knock on our door.

5am: I wake up sweating to death and dehydrated. I look over and Jamese has moved to sleeping on her desk (it is a very large desk). I travel back to RESlife, and they tell me that they came but we were asleep...duh! It was the middle of the night! I tell the guy it is 28 degrees celcius in my room, and someone MUST come fix it. He tells me 15 min. I am sitting at my desk by the window when I hear the faintest knock ever. By the time I got out of my chair and walked 7 ft. to my door, they were leaving. SERIOUSLY?! I caught them before they could escape in laziness again. The guy came in my room, flipped our switch 3 times, tried to convince me that it was off. I started getting really angry and yelled at him in Arabic that it wasn't, and it needed to be fixed. He responds, "Open the window." I wanted to throw something.

I finally got someone on day shift to care when I had a break from class at noon, so it is fine now. I was so mad! Open a window? Please. For those of you who don't want to do the math 28 degrees is 82.4. Mind you this is the temperature below the beds. Somethings here are too frustrating.

Today I am going to lunch with my advisor. When I get back I hope to see some comments. Have a happy Friday!

5 comments:

AimeeC said...

I just wanted to tell you that I did like the bday story and I use your blog all the time for escapism and procrastination so please keep posting.lol. Beyond that, someone from UE was at this school last semester and the ladder going to her lofted bed broke when she was getting on it, so be careful. :-)

Amy said...

I too enjoy your stories. There is always something weird, interesting, or strange going on. Since you are there, experiencing it all,it might not seem so interesting but to us here in Indiana exciting things rarely happen.....it is nice to read about yours. I do feel a bit sad for the little mouse. I once lived in an apartment about 7 years ago, and I discovered I had a mouse sneaking in and eating my cat's food. Yes, that is a little bit ironic, but apparently my cat really did not mind. Well I bought one of those traps where you catch the mouse, not kill it. I caught it in the middle of the night and drove it to the park and let it go. The next night I caught two babies!! Apparently they were coming to find mom. So, I took them to the park. The next night.....yes, another baby...to the park. I am way too soft hearted.....it gets me into trouble sometimes.

OK..enough of a comment..LOL! Keep the stories coming!

Anonymous said...

I read your blog all the time. You should do well in your creative writing class. Love your stories.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Megan the 3 are my fault David

mls45 said...

No worries David, I cleaned it up. Thanks for the comments Aimee, Amy, and Debbie. You have moved up rank to my favorite people!