Monday, February 9, 2009

"The father of my child better be in there seeing what I have to go through for that baby!" -Kelsey

The quote is completely irrelevant to the day really, but it was the hardest I laughed yesterday. I said I wasn't going to make it a habit to post in the morning rather than the night, but I realize I can make it a habit. It is my blog and I can write on it whenever I want. I think the main reason this is better for me is because by the time my homework is done and the adventures have ended, I'm so exhausted, I can't put my best effort into writing a blog. So for quality and convenience purposes, you will have to wait to read my blog in the morning with your coffee rather than before you go to bed with your cookies you snuck out of the kitchen.

Since my week days are becoming more and more monotonous, I have decided to start adding the characters of my daily life into my blog. I think you should know the people I know, even if you have never met them. I should probably start by telling you about the people I have become closest to in Egypt, but I have never really been one to do what I should but rather what I want. Since I have already established a trend today of making up my own rules, I am going to start by telling you about my Arabic professor.

She is a beautiful Egyptian woman, probably in her late forties, but smiles like she is 14. She speaks beautiful فصحة (Standard Arabic), but her Egyptian habits of making the "j" sound like a "g" sneak in every once in a while. Half the time in class none of us 5 students understand what she is saying, but she finds a way to explain it, and we love the class anyway. She tries so hard to keep it interesting. Today we had to listen to a piece about the beach, instead of just making us listen, she brought in seashells and model boats to decorate the table in front of us to put us in the mood, as she puts it. Her kindness is overwhelming, yesterday she bought Mika another orange juice, because her's was tragically lost to the always collapsing tables of AUC. I don't know if I'm great at speaking Arabic, but she makes me feel confident.

Just a small portrait of one person affecting my life here in Egypt. I don't have much else except to ask if anyone knows how to diminish the swelling of mosquito bites. I have one on each cheek and one on my right earlobe :(. I'm constantly afraid people think I have HUGE pimples. They are itching constantly, but don't worry I have one on my leg I can scratch when the others itch. Oh well, Have happy Mondays!

No comments: