Monday, February 16, 2009

"You never say, 'Ahmed, how is your day going?' I always have to talk first." -Ahmed at Mercado Italiano

It is a sad, sad day when the guys at the restaurants begin recognizing you and striking up conversation. Ok, it is not necessarily a sad day, but rather hilarious. The guys at this particular restaurant like to flirt with my friend Mika and I (and I'm sure numerous others). The other day this other guy there told me I looked like an American actress (I never found out which one), and today I was scolded for not initiating conversation. Mika and I wonder if we flirt enough, will they start giving us free food? We think it might be worth a shot...lol (Justin, what happens in Cairo, stays in Cairo...j/k).

My life is quickly becoming consumed with Arabic. I'm not sure if that is good or bad, but I can tell you, it is HARD!!! Today we read an article about how Islam is not compatible with democracies. The teacher asked for my opinion. I don't even know my opinion in English, how am I supposed to communicate it in Arabic. Sheesh! I have found myself inserting random Arabic terms into my everyday conversation to create a confusing language I call Arabish. We joke in our class that we are not good enough to express ourselves in Arabic, but we are losing our English abilities as well.

Things are pretty good here these days though. I am not sick anymore, I got to talk to friends and family a lot yesterday, and tomorrow is hump day here. Things are
looking up. I hope you all are having great Mondays, I am going to hit the sack. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ah forgetting english, those were the days in sana'a and cairo, I am jealous!!! Heads up though, Shreya will make fun of you haha.