Friday, May 1, 2009

"Remember that time I rode a caterpillar?" -Carrie

Last night we got back to campus, and there was a child's roller coaster/train thing that looked like a caterpillar. Apparently today is homecoming here, and no one told me. I never know what is going on here. I don't know if I'm not on a listserv that I should be, or if I'm not putting myself out there. I feel like I always find out about stuff after the fact. Oh well...25 more days.

Last night we went to see a movie. We watched Crossing Over with Harrison Ford and Ashley Judd. If you haven't seen it, it is about illegal immigration and how hard it is to become an American citizen. I thought it was fabulous. I highly recommend it, if you haven't already seen it.

The film really made me think about how much I take my US citizenship for granted. To watch how hard other people work to become an American citizen, and to see how much it means to them, I feel really blessed. Even outside of the US, I recognize how much more respect you can gain with a US passport versus one from somewhere else. In Egypt, if you are from the US and you are walking into a place with security, they will use the wands on the Egyptians and wave you right through. Even when I am embarrassed by how the US government is viewed elsewhere, I know that it is the best country to be a part of. Now I can't wait to come home. Even though I know I will miss Egypt...I can't wait to come home.

Happy Friday.

No comments: