Saturday, May 16, 2009

"It is a fact, fat people look older." -Carrie

Moral of the story, in Cairo, we have lost our tact. Whatever comes to our minds, comes out our mouths...mostly because no one understands us. We were in a cab on Thursday night, just jabbering away like we always do. I'm sure our conversation was far from important, but we tend to talk about whatever we want in a cab because no one understands us. When I handed the cabbie our money, he said, in the best English accent I've heard from an Egyptian in Cairo, "Thanks, you have a good evening." I'm sure I had the same look on my face that Egyptians have on their face when the little white girl in front of them opens her mouth and speaks Arabic. It was funny.

So I know it has been almost a week since I last gave you a glimpse of my life, but I have been overwhelmed by finals. I still have a 10pg. paper due on Tues. and 2 Arabic finals on Wed., but then I am pretty much finished. I have from Thurs. until Sun. to edit all of my writing pieces for my final portfolio. The unfortunate thing is I have 2 10 pg. stories, 10 poems, and 5 other short pieces. At least it is work I enjoy.

Let's see, what interesting has happened to me since I last updated you. Well first I thought I should tell you about the article that appeared in the student publication called "I Hate to Love America." On an university whose brand new campus got embarrassing amounts of money from the US government, I was angry about how students here perceive us. The most infuriating thing is the students here treat the Americans as a ticking of a clock. It is always there, but no one really notices that they exist. I got hit in the face by a girl's notebook because she swung it at me, not noticing I was standing there, or worse...she did. Whatever, I will attach the link to the title. Check out page 3.

Next, I was sitting on the step on campus and I took a drink of my water. A random Egyptian came up and asked me for a drink of my water...I didn't know who he was. He says, "Oh, you are grossed out aren't you?" YEAH I'M GROSSED OUT! DUH! I have never seen you before in my life, I am not about to share your germs when there is a place to buy water right there.

Thursday night, Mika, Carrie, and I all went to the symphony orchestra concert in the Cairo Opera house that was opened for the inauguration of the Suez Canal. The concert was fabulous, but the best part about it was that we found out, starting on this Thurs., they are going to be having a performance of Aida. Aida is a very popular opera that was written especially for the Cairo opera house. We are so excited. I just wish I had fancier clothes here...small problem.

Pretty much other than that, I have studied, read, studied, wrote papers, studied...well, you get the picture. 9 more days and I will be comfortably back in the US. I'm very excited. Of course, I am sad to leave, but I just need to be home right now. I will be seeing you all soon. Happy Saturday!

3 comments:

betzfrits said...

So, I looked at your blog earlier and thought, "Wow, Megan hasn't posted for a while." And then, because I don't want to write wedding thank you notes (yes, it's true--I'm that far behind) any more today, I thought I'd check your blog again--and voila! you've posted! Great! Oh, and I want you to know that Brock also reminds me frequently of how many days it is until you return to the United States. WEEEIRDO...

Anonymous said...

the last article in that newspaper was pretty interesting, well-written and challenging....who was it written by? students?

-Ben D.

mls45 said...

Yeah, it is a student publication.