Sunday, May 24, 2009

"Now I know how Mexicans feel." -Senna

Everything is packed, I am exhausted, and I have a lot to tell you. I actually don't remember where to start with this conversation, but until Thursday evening my life consisted of papers, studying, and more creative writing. Luckily everything got turned in on time, and I am officially a senior. I feel like everyone's facebook status is so excited to be a senior, but I'm a little terrified. I love college, and I have no idea what I want to do with my life yet, so I need time to go a little bit slower from now on.

After all my work was turned in, we went to see the opera Aida. I was so excited to see the opera written for the Cairo Opera House, in the Cairo Opera House, but I should have known that this would be an opera Egyptian style. The main character is supposed to be a slave girl/love interest of the commander of the ancient Egyptian army. She had a beautiful voice, but she was a very large girl, and I hate to admit it, but I feel like that distracted from the plot of the story. The male star was not a star at all! LOL! Sadly his voice wasn't really up to professional quality. But the best part was how bad the dancers were. You didn't even have to be familiar to dancing to recognize how off their timing was or how noticeable different leg heights were. I mean, I guess overall it was a good experience, but I think it might be better to see an opera somewhere other than Egypt.

Friday I slept in, stayed in bed doing nothing most of the day, then went into the city at night. We went to this restaurant called Abu Tarek...5 stories of the best koshery in Cairo. I love me some good koshery, so I thought it was very appropriate for one of my last meals in Cairo. Then we wandered the streets and I bought a carry-on sized suitcase...Joguar. It is a good little knock off. We also explored this market that obviously caters to Egyptians only. It was really fun. I bought some cute shoes for 15 le...less than $3. AWESOME! I love shoes.

Saturday was a whirlwind of a day. I have pictures, but I'm going to wait for the speed of American internet before I upload them...being anticipating awesomeness. We started the morning by visiting Garbage City and the Cave Church. The area was devastatingly poor, but the churches there were gorgeous. Maybe next post I will tell you more about the area and show you the pictures. Our cab driver was a Christian and stayed with us marveling the sights as much as we were. It was a great experience. We then left to explore some mosques in Islamic Cairo. I saw some rough neigborhoods, but I had the BEST banana ever! We finished with dinner out. It was an eventful and exhausting day.

Today I spent the majority of my day frustrated with the tedious bureaucracy/lack of organization here, but I'm not going to dwell on it because I am loving Egypt right now. After we packed and checked out, Mika and I went and ate dinner at the restaurant we ate at on our first night here. It was fun. Then we went to a friends apartment to hang out and eat watermelon. It was nice to have everyone around to see them before I leave.

When I think about coming home I am super excited, but when I think about leaving Egypt, I am really sad. Regardless, I will be home around midnight between Mon. and Tues. See you all soon. Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

You bought shoes! Yay! Speaking of shoes, me and Sarah went to the mall last night because she still needs shoes for her sister's wedding (sadly she didn't find any). In Nordstrom I fell in love with two pairs of shoes. They were beautiful! One was teal sandals with heels and the other was a shiny bronze sandal. Oh my gosh if only I were a millionaire. Anyway, this story really has no point. But I knew you could sympathize with me.