Sunday, May 3, 2009

"Life's not fair...Get over it!" -Dear ol' Daddy

Throughout my life, my dad has used many phrases, anecdotes, and downright crazy sayings to get his point across, but the one he uses the most is, "Life's not fair...Get over it." I think it is pretty appropriate for how I'm feeling today. It's not fair that I have to miss my dad's and my boyfriend's birthday today. It is not fair that my dad has to work, or Justin has to study for finals on their birthdays. It is not fair that I have to miss Mother's Day, and it isn't fair that I will miss my sister's graduation. But I guess that is what happens when you decide to go gallivanting around in foreign countries.

It isn't fair that I am in this amazing country, but all I can think about is how much I miss home and am ready to leave. It is not fair that I spent the first part of the semester just relaxing, doing pretty much nothing work wise, but now I'm TOTALLY swamped. Before I had lots of Arabic, but I was able to focus on it. Focusing on Arabic was why I came here. Now I have an Arabic test tomorrow, but I also have a presentation for a class and a 10 pg. short-story due on Tues. I am feeling the Duke syndrome of having too much to do, you know you can't do a great job on any of it. I'm just hoping I can do enough to suffice. Sigh...3 more weeks.

Yesterday was really fun. I went on a field trip to a part of Cairo that is not open to tourists yet because it is still being remodeled, but our professor was able to get us a special permit. Unfortunately I forgot my camera, and I am still kicking myself for that. I'm sorry that I can't share my mental pictures with you. I hope you will forgive me. Last night we went on a faluka, because it was windy, and we were actually able to sail. The captain sang me a Nubian love song, and we met a Mexican who is now living in Paris, but he was visiting Cairo. It made me realize just how small of a world it really is. I asked him how Cairo compared to Mexico City. He told me about the same except Cairo has much more chaos. LOL! I hope that can give some of you a perspective of just how insane Cairo can be.

I need to get back to work, but I hope you all have great days. Happy Sunday! Happy Birthday Dad and Justin!

2 comments:

betzfrits said...

I hear Mexico City is not so busy right now...by the way, have you seen any pigs in Egypt recently? If so, were they alive?! ;)

(P.S. Everyone's at Myrtle this week, so you may have a dearth of comments...)

Amy said...

Unfortunately not only is that a useful quote it is so true. Fairness is not a thing of this world.

I know your family is going to be very happy to see you in a few weeks. But, what is up with the milk? Can't get it there or what??