Saturday, April 4, 2009

"We're in Cairo, what isn't a trash can?" -Jeremy

I have seen it everywhere here, piles of trash heaping the curbs and sidewalks, scattered in the street, sitting on windowsills. Pretty much anywhere in Cairo, you could set your trash down and it would be beside other trash, but nowhere near a trash can. Today's quote is actually from a couple weeks ago, referencing Jeremy's response to Andrew seeking a trash can. Even though it is an old quote, I was refreshed of its relevance last night. I was riding a boat on the Nile with a mixed group of people when these two Egyptian guys threw their empty cans into the Nile. I couldn't believe it. No wonder the Nile is so disgusting. I wanted to yell at them, but it wasn't my place. I had never really talked to them before and it is their country. But I was pretty upset.

In other news, I have spent my day doing homework and scratching my feet. I told my parents that I wanted to rip them off and rub them on a tree. Nothing is helping. The benadryl just knocked me out for 4 extra hours of sleep, so now I'm wide awake at 2:30 am. It was really warm today. I think I'm getting a taste of how hot I'm actually going to get while I'm here. Not sure if I'm excited about that. I don't really have a lot to tell you otherwise. I hope you had good Fridays. Enjoy the weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

two words: pumice stone.